Thursday, October 02, 2008

Ginger Pear Crisp

Being off work with extra time on my hands and having overly ripe pears in the fridge, I decided to try to make cobbler out of them. All the recipes I could find online included lemon juice, which I didn't have. Or used more pears than I had (I had 3), so I came up with something on my own. It was good, but I didn't write down what I did. Here's the idea, though, so that maybe I can reproduce it and write down exact amounts next time...

Filling:
  • Cut 3 pears into slices somewhere between an 1/8th and a 1/4 of an inch thick.
  • Dice up about a tablespoon (undiced) of crystallized ginger (maybe a bit less).
  • Stir it up.
  • Add a sprinkle of vanilla, powdered ginger, cinnamon, and sugar.
  • Stir it up again.
Topping:
  • 3/4's of a stick of butter.
  • About 1/3 of the ingredients in oatmeal cookies, but substitute ginger for the nutmeg and leave out the eggs.
  • Beat the mixture in a mixer -it should be crumbly. If it's too dry, add more butter. If it's not dry enough, add more oats.
Put the pears in an approximately 8x4 baking dish, top with topping (duh) and bake at 350 until the topping turns brown.

It turned out watery and not sweet enough. I sprinkled brown sugar on the top, which helped with the sweetness, and left it in the oven at 200*F for 20 minutes or so, then turned the oven off and left it in there while we went out to a fast food place to eat. When we returned it was less soupy and quite tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment