Thursday, April 03, 2008

Backup Exec 12 - Inability to Overwrite Media

First thing you notice after installing Backup Exec 12 and setting up your first job, is that you can't select anything but "Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite". Great :-\

"Help" and Google tells you to manually erase the media, relabel it (which effectively erases it), or move the media to scratch. But if you're looking to continuously overwrite your media, this is a big pain. I think I have it figured out, though:

I went to Tools > Options > Media Management and set the Media overwrite protection level to "None" and no Prompting.

Then I went to "Media" and right-clicked on "Keep Data Infinitely - Do Not Allow Overwrite", went to "Properties" and set the overwrite protection to 3 days.

Neither of the above immediately gave me the ability to choose "Overwrite" on the backup job, but after the job ran for the first time it now gives me the "Overwrite" option. -I guess I'll have to wait and see if it actually works next week. What an odd piece of software...

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Erika,

    This solution was exactly what I needed. I had the same issue and could not find a solution in any of the Menu options when I was right-clicking on the MediaSets.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:00 AM

    Thanks for the tip.

    I had the same problem in 12.5, seems to have been the fix I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:58 AM

    Hi,

    I am using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers. I used to have this problem but found out a way on how to add a procedure aside from keeping the datas infinite and prevented from being over written.

    Hope this could help..
    ----got to "File ---> new --> media set
    In the Media Set Properties, in the name tab,
    put any name you want to describe the procedure. In my case, I named it "Overwrite Media".
    Then in the media media sets period, under the "overwrite protection period" click the drop down menu and select "year", on the left side, type "1" (actually, whatever time you desired will be accepted).
    then on the " append period" , do the same.

    Click "ok" ..and you are done.

    The next time you create a backup, there will be two options (unless you created another one).. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:11 PM

    Good Tip Helped me as well. Thanks

    FSMO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:06 PM

    Thanks for that!
    I find blogs give much clearer instructions than the providers website.
    Also helps that blogs ran highly on google :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Do not change the Tools > Options > Media Management setting, it will overrule any other setting on individual media sets. Just changing the media set options will do what you want. The best way to do it is to create your own media set.

    ReplyDelete